Save the Ferris Wheel
GrowSF supports the SkyStar ferris wheel in Golden Gate Park
2020 was the 150th Anniversary of Golden Gate Park.
As part of the celebration year, SF Parks Alliance and SF Recreation and Park Department partnered with SkyStar to temporarily install a 150 foot Observation Wheel in Golden Gate Park's Music Concourse. Unfortunately due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Observation Wheel has been closed nearly the entire time it's been up.
SFPA and SFRPD, along with SkyStar, want to keep the Observation Wheel operating until 2025. The wheel will attract tourists, generate revenue for the city, and draw people into the park so they also visit the de Young, Cal Academy, and other spots.
But most importantly, the ferris wheel is just fun. Kids and families love it and want to see it stay.
Unfortunately, despite the overwhelming public support for the ferris wheel, a small group of folks are trying to end our fun and shut the ferris wheel down.
The Haight Ashbury Neighborhood Council opposes the ferris wheel, citing bizarre reasoning like it's too bright, or bad for wildlife. Reminder: they are also opposed to the UCSF Parnassus project which would build a new hospital, add housing, invest in transit, and more.
We need to get out of a mode where every project, every change in San Francisco is opposed. We need to build and grow.
Speak in support of the project
Historic Preservation Commission Part 2
- When: Wednesday, March 3rd at 12:30pm
- Details: Links to agenda and stream. To make a public comment: (415) 655-0001 / Access Code: 187 329 9426 then press #
Historic Preservation Commission
- When: Wednesday, February 17th at 12:30pm
- Details: Links to agenda and stream. To make a public comment: (415) 655-0001 / Access Code: 187 731 7450 then press #
Recreation & Park Full Commission
- When: Thursday, February 18th at 10am
- Details: Links to agenda and stream. To make a public comment: (415) 655-0001 / Access Code: 146 872 9370 then press #
Send an email in support of this project to the Historic Preservation Commission. These links will open an email you can edit before sending.
- State Senator Scott Wiener
- Supervisor Dean Preston
- Supervisor Connie Chan